Dear Sophomores and Families,
Pasco County Schools will administer the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT) to 10th grade students October 23-31, 2023, at no cost to students. This test is used as a counseling and diagnostic tool, which can be used to foster student thought about advanced coursework and college/career planning. While this test is optional, there are many benefits for students, including:
· Grade 10 PSAT/NMSQT testing is an indicator of performance on the SAT college entrance exam. Students may choose to link their results on the PSAT/NMSQT to a Khan Academy account to receive a personalized plan for preparing for the SAT.
· The PSAT/NMSQT includes reading, math, and writing/language components that focus on the knowledge and skills that are most essential for college and career readiness and success; it is also used as a diagnostic tool to measure and follow student performance and pinpoint areas for development.
· Results can help identify each student’s potential for academic success at the postsecondary level and lead to discussion about future educational plans.
· Test results will provide high school counselors with information to help identify students who may be ready to enroll and be successful in Advanced Placement and other college preparatory courses or identify students who may need additional instruction to do so.
· Every student who takes the PSAT/NMSQT is given access to multiple online resources that provide personalized SAT preparation, as well as college and career planning tools – all at no cost to the student or their family. These resources include:
o A PSAT/NMSQT score report that includes answers with detailed explanations.
o A personalized SAT study plan when the student links their PSAT results to the Khan Academy SAT Prep site.
o A report that shows the Advanced Placement courses in which the student shows the opportunity to be successful. You may visit College Board for more information, including practice tests and sample questions, as well as College Board – Calculator Policy for more information on the calculator policy. The PSAT/NMSQT is a computer-based test and can only be administered on site. If you have any questions, please contact Christine Cooper at firstname.lastname@example.org.